HEROIN IS A DRUG TO MAKE THE WORLD GO AWAY

THIS IS A BLOG ABOUT A LIFE WITHOUT HEROIN



Monday 24 June 2013

No Sleep ~~ then Lots of Sleep

I BARELY seemed to sleep at all last week. In fact I calculated I'd gone about five days on just eleven hours ~ with most of that sleep at the beginning of the five days. Then I just couldn't sleep. I wanted to give Dr Disbelieving an eyeful of me in an "elevated mood" but as it turned out I needn't have worried. I actually thought at the time that my mood was fairly "normal" but in actual fact it wasn't. I was certainly high. I remember at one point the dr saying he'd like to test my blood pressure and that I should stop talking for a while "if that was possible". Anyway I spent days feeling what I thought at the time was "normal" but was probably "elevated". At one point Binky said "you don't seem that mad today" and I said "why, do I normally seem mad?" Ukh. In the end I was scared of sleeping, because I thought it would bring me down. It DID bring me down, but not in a bad way. At the beginning of this no-sleep episode thing, every time I did sleep "properly" (ie actually went to bed), I woke feeling really tired, sluggish and horrible. Then over the course of the day I'd pick up and by the time I reckoned it was "time to go to bed" (which was actually the time I'd previously woken up, not gone to sleep ~ an easy manic mistake to make!) I felt far too excited to bother with anything as timewasting as that. So the only sleeping I did for several days on end involved conking out in front of the television after midday, having spent all the previous night awake. Now I thought that you could get a healthy few hours' sleep purely by conking out eg a hundred times a day for half a minute at a time ~~ I thought that would add up to fifty minutes' sleep. But aparently to my frazzled brain it didn't. I had no difficulty conking out. It was the staying asleep that eluded me. Probably each day I fell asleep a hundred or more times... the problem was these mini-sleeps only totalled a few seconds each. (I know this, as I could still follow what was happening on TV).

Oh well that's about it. I don't WANT to come down anyway. I don't know where I'm going now... I'm thinking of learning fluent Portuguese so I can live in Brazil and be a translator. I'd also like to learn Japanese, German and Chinese. I've found a double-honours Portuguese-Japanese course at Birkbeck ~ University of London. If I didn't want to do Japanese, I could do Portuguese-German. If I didn't want Portuguese I could do Japanese-German. The only offputting thing about Japanese BA degrees is that they expect to take you from very little to no knowledge to only "one year post A level"... apart from my shocking grammar that's where my German is now! I want a far better language competence than that... which is why Portuguese appeals so much to me. Brazil is the ONLY country in South America I've had a real fascination for (which kept annoying me during my "I'm learning Spanish" days ~~ I kept realizing the one country I really wanted to visit didn't speak Spanish at all! Also Brazil's economy is in the ascendent ~ which is always good for getting jobs. Germany and Japan are said to have peaked. I don't know WHEN I'm going to fit this Portuguese study in, being as I'm currently on ITALIAN and thoroughly enjoying it. The Italian language, so a great many people would say, is thee most beautiful langauge in the world. It really is so gorgeous that when in the right mood I can just read it aloud because it is so sublimely beautiful and wonderful to pronounce.

I don't know HOW I would fund any degree course... and you NEED a degree in order to be a professional translator... I think I will get round it by obtaining the money myself. Where there's a will there's a way. I will contact rich mentally ill former drug addicts and try and get the funds out of them. I don't see why they shouldn't cough up. When I'm super-wealthy I've always planned to set up a special foundation for persons in challenging circumstances wishing to study langauges. So I don't see why someone else shouldn't first do for me what I've long planned to do for others... Oh I don't know. I was really hoping to win the £141,000,000 ($217,376,880) Euromillions prize but it's rolled over to £157,000,000 ($242,043,760) which is paid out tax-free in one lump and providing the banks don't crash and tuition fees don't inflate too madly it SHOULD fund me through university... (let's hope so).

PS I'm reading Jay Mackinery's Bright Lights Big City... makes me really glad I'm not addicted to cocaine...

Illustrated: top and middle ~ 秋田犬小狗 akita puppies; bottom ~ 柴犬小狗 shiba puppy (miniature akita-type breed)...


4 comments:

Sarah Bershadsky said...

Studying French was definitely one of the best things I did in college. I'm thinking of picking up sign language or some computer language now that I've graduated. Good luck Gleds!
- Lucy

Liz Hinds said...

I love the 'can you stop talking?' comment!

I'm still struggling - on and off - with Italian. I have a very sexy accent. Shame i don't know what I'm saying!

Gledwood said...

Lucy: did you know French, that darling language of the middle classes is DYING OUT? How terrible is that... in the future they think only French people will speak it!

Liz: drs are bastards. All of them. They barely seem to know what they're talking about, unless it is chlamydia or blocked milk ducts... Yes I haven't done any Italian since last Thursday and cannot forsee when I will want to bother doing it again. I only want to speak Italian when I feel HAPPY...

Sarah Bershadsky said...

I'm sad, the French sound so nice when they speak.