HEROIN IS A DRUG TO MAKE THE WORLD GO AWAY

THIS IS A BLOG ABOUT A LIFE WITHOUT HEROIN



Saturday, 4 August 2012

We Are The World


I'VE BEEN FEELING over-emotional all day. I don't know why. I don't know if I had too much sleep. I went to bed around 11pm on Thursday night and had to get up by quarter to ten to get my phone back from where I'd left it in the internet shop. So that's a good ten hours' sleep. By midday I was back in bed again with exhaustion. I slept right through past eight p.m. I took my medication (quetiapine 300mg) and was back in bed by eleven; I slept right through past 5 a.m. ~ making a grand total of 24 hours out of 30. Being so early there was nothing to do except watch Michael Jackson videos. And I was back in bed by six and I woke up around ten. So that's a ridiculous amount of sleep I got. And I still feel I could sleep some more!

I bought Michael Jackson's Moonwalker from my local record shop and have been playing it over and over, as background music. This is what happens when you're deprived of TV. Of all the tunes in that film, it's the snatch of USA for Africa "We Are The World" that's stuck in my head, spinning round my brain.

Happy nostalgia Everyone, and have a Great Weekend!


USA FOR AFRICA: WE ARE THE WORLD (1985)



9 comments:

Summer said...

OMG, I loved this song! Kinda hard to believe that was 85. Yikes, I'm old.

Have a good weekend, Gled.

Gledwood said...

Bob Geldoff supervised a British equivalent, that came first and inspired the American version, called "Do They Know It's Christmas" which is less syrupy, but I prefer the American one. Because it does not remind me of Xmas, for one!

The lyrics are classic Michael Jackson. I read in J Randy Taraborelli's book that Michael did 90% of the work on that song (with Lionel Richie doing the other 10%)... but that's according to LaToya, who seemed to hang around the Jacksons' mansion in Encino never having a job. She did appear on British Celebrity Big Brother and seemed a lot more likeable than the press made her out. All I remembered about her was that when the first lot of sexual abuse allegations came out, far from protecting her brother, she came out and said she "didn't know" the truth. And, according to the J Randy Taraborelli book, went flying round the world appearing on any TV show that would pay enough, making allegations of his GUILT. Some sister!

Bev said...

I hope Michael will be remembered more for song and dance ten the other stuff.I love this song to.
Have a nostalgia day toXoXoxoWe all get emotonal last week I was losing my head with sadness and drinking and feeling better now.You to sweety pie.Heres a kiss Im sending straigt to your forhead and in hot pink lip stick.I been watching Blondie one way or a nother documentery on youtube.I still lov

Bev said...

My comment poped up!

Gledwood said...

Uh.?? What do you mean it popped up?
I think those child abuse allegations were just an evil plot designed to extort money. If he really had abused kids, the truth would surely have come out. I don't believe for a second any of the allegations were true. I think the cases say more about evil moneygrabbing parents than they say anything about Michael Jackson. I'm just so glad that people seem to have looked at the bigger picture since he died. When he was alive so many of us, including me, just did not know what to believe...

Bev said...

It bad though that he had to die to be respectable again.The loss of his talent really makes me sick but he suffered so much from the greedy ppl.He was sposed to move some where out of the country may be if he moved he could get his freedom and peace back.

jams o donnell said...

Jesus it doesn't seem so long ago!

Gledwood said...

Bev: I never cried a drop when MJ died ~ purely because it was "drugs" and drugs never makes me cry. Since he passed on and the record shops have been full of his stuff again I've bought 3 things: Michael Jackson's Vision (all the pop videos), This Is It (and it is SUCH A SHAME that they never got to video a dress rehearsal bc the costumes were AMAZING), and the Moonwalker movie. It makes me so sad he's gone. Michael Jackson was the only celebrity I ever really wanted to meet... and too fucking late. (I did meet Jerry Springer though).

JAMS: aye ;-)

Bev said...

How did you meet Jerry Springer?Where you a guest on the show?I liked him in the 80s when he was kinder and covered gettos and gangs and stuff.Now he wants to know whose the babies daddys and that is the show.